Friday, August 17, 2007

Epic Ride

This week was so special to me, as I went on a epic bike drive - to draw myself closer to God great wonder and creation. I wanted to take my bike and travel. Finally I decided on going to Cape Breton - going around the Cabot Trail.

Day 1, I got up and was on the road shortly after 7am; yes I was up at 7am. My first stop was for gas and my second spot was Tim’s in Bridgetown. Then off I was on my Epic Motorbike drive. Drove through to the valley (on the 101) and turn off at Windsor (Tim’s) and then up through the Rawdon Hills.

For any bike driver, this is the kind of road you like; the twisty turns and the country scenery. I really enjoyed the first part of my drive. Came out around Truro, fueled up and turned right towards Cape Breton. Drove along that part of the 101 passing New Glasgow and then hit construction. Had a 25-minute rest, until traffic started moving again. Drove into Antigonish, stopping for lunch (1:30) at Mother Webb’s. Good food, but a bit pricey.

Got back on the bike and headed for the Canso Causeway. Stopped there, went to the washroom, checked out the map and headed off up the 105 highway. Drove through Port Hastings and Queensland. I wasn’t sure if Cape Breton was ‘same-sex’ friendly or not or if Queensland was the just the name of the place or description??? I didn’t slow down at all.

Then I drove through Kingsville; what was that all about? As I drove through Glendale and Medford, the skies started to get dark. I took time to put on my wet-suit. By the time I got to Blues Mills, it was raining. By the time I got to Iron Mines, it was really raining. As I entered Whycocomagh, I started to look for a place to get out of the rain. I spotted a run-down shack on the side of the road; so I turned in and spent the next hour or so, watch the rain.

The rain was really nice, silver and transparent at times. At some point the rain came straight down (and fast) and at other times, it was came down almost horizontal. The rain drops were very big and stung when hitting your face at 100 km. Some people drove really slow and others were passing those cars. I prayed for the rain to stop and that everyone would drive safely.

Well the rain let-up a bit, so off I went; drove into Whycocomagh Reserve, stopped at a gas station that had a canopy. There I met up with a couple from Ontario on their bike. They too were seeking shelter. With the help of the woman at the gas station, we found a small motel with 3 vacant rooms – off we went to get dried out. Stayed the night at the Mountain Brook Motel, which took $55.00 of my gas money – since I had planned to sleep in my tent every night.

Oh well, at least I got to dry out, have a hot shower and watch the America’s Got Talent. This too was a blessing from God. It made it possible for me to watch that TV show and get a good night’s sleep. The motel only got 2 TV stations and a third which was French.

Day 2
Got up the next morning and was on the road (again) shortly after 7. I said good-bye to the couple from Ontario; they too were headed around the Cabot Trail. I ask which way they were going; around the inside or around the outside. They looked at me dumb-founded; as some of you too are thinking – inside /outside.

Well, here’s the explanation. If you drive way up to and turn onto the trail at St. Anns, and then back down around the trail – coming out at Baddeck – you are on the left side of the road (looking at the map), and on the outside, closest to the cliffs and water the whole way ‘round. That’s the outside. If you turn left and enter the trail at Baddeck, travel inland to Cheticamp and then around the trail, you are on the right side of the road (looking at the map), and are on the inside trail, closest the bank and far from the edge of the cliffs and open water.

After I explained all this to the couple from Ontario, they decide to travel the outside; I told then I was traveling the inside since I was scared of heights and water. As I was leaving, I suggested, that since they were turning at St. Anns that they should check out Englishtown Ferry.

Englishtown is about 5 miles up the road from where you would normally turn into the trail. Englishtown has a wonderful and very long ‘sandbar’ that crosses St. Anns Bay. The ferry cuts off about 50 kms of winding road. The ferry is a cable ferry, which means the 2 points (departure and arrival) are connected by a cable that is ‘fed’ through the ferry. Warning! I wonder what would happen of the cable brook? Would the ferry simply flood away? Never mind.

The couple from Ontario said they might check it out. I wished them well and a safe trip and off I went. Turned into the trail at the Bid Red Barn and headed to Cheticamp. Lake O’law is nestled between to very high mountains that come down right next to the lakeshore. The water is clear and still and a wonderful place to stop and take in God’s wonder.

I pulled into the provincial park and rested a while. Had a banana and a bottle of water. After I was finished I went over to the trash/recycling can to put in my contribution. I opened the lid (matter-of-factly), when a squirrel stuck out his head and scare the ‘daylights’ out of me. As far as I know, my banana peel and a water bottle are still on the ground; or the squirrel has them.

Drove through Margaree Forks and into Margaree Harbour. I then traveled along the Gulf of St. Lawrence, up towards the town of Cheticamp. Stopped at Tim’s and gassed up before entering Cape Breton Highlands National Park – heading for Pleasant Bay.

Pillar Rock is quite a sight, as the rock-face is a few hundred feet high right along side of the road. Started up Jerome Mountain; what a view as the road wines in around on it’s self many times and you can see the road up head and back behind you. Came into Pleasant Bay, nice village; and stopped at the Lone Shieling which is a replica of a Scottish shepherd’s hut. The hut was built to commemorate the Scot who donated some 100 acres of virgin forest to the park.

From Pleasant Bay, I headed inland and upland, into the heart of the Park; stopping about 1 or so to have lunch at Big Intervale, cape North. Also took the time to find Beulach Ban Waterfalls. A beautiful falls about 100 feel high. You can feel the midst at the base; knowing this high and deep channel was cut away by a residing glacier – millions of years ago. Many natives and European explorers have stood right where I was standing and marveling at this small spec of God’s great power and wonder.

From the falls, I drove past Black Brook beach and other great coastal stopping places. Continued on; South Harbour, Neil’s Harbour to Ingonish – ending up at the top of cape Smokey. I took of picture of me and my bike, at the top of Old Smokey, at the elevation sign; “Top of Smokey – Elevation 275m, 902 feet” above sea level. Quite an accomplishment for me and my bike.

From there it was all down hill. I drove along that coast enjoying many beaches and rock walkabouts. Came into the St. Ann’s area and decided to take my own advice and go on the Englishtown Ferry. I was driving along, wondering what happen to my friends from Ontario. I felt I should have meet them in and round Cape North – that’s about halfway. Well, I was about 5 kms from the ferry, when I (finally) meet the couple. They had indeed come across the ferry, but where they were all day, I have no idea.

The drive along that coast/sandbar is always so nice and the little ferry is so enjoyable. It took 5 minutes to load all the cars, trucks and campers on, and 2 minutes to get to the other side. From there I proceeded up Kelly’s Mountain towards the Seal Island Bridge. HAVE I EVER MENTIONED, I HATE BRIDGES AND WATER! Well the drive across the bridge on my bike was absolutely frightening.

I drove from there to Sydney River and got on the #4 highway. This road takes you right along side of East Bay, Bras D’Or Lake and west Bay. You drive through many quaint places, including Big Pond; where Rita McNeil is from. I drove right past Rita’s Tearoom but didn’t see her anywhere so just keep going. From Rita’s place, I drove through St.Peters, and into Port Hawkesbury. The Canso Causeway is only a hop, skip and a jump from there.

I stopped at the Causeway, freshen-up, called my sister Amy to get my sister’s Donna Jean’s phone number. I did take time to get on the public internet site, email my daughter, Tanya and did a quick update on my blog. I left the Causeway heading towards Truro and then my sister’s Donna’s for the night.

Long before I reached Antigonish, it started to rain again. I stooped in Antigonish, gassed up, changed into my chaps and leathers. I called Donna to say I was on my way there. Got back on the highway and drove some more, headed towards New Glasgow. As I coming into the town, another bike came on the highway and past me. We both waved. As I came into the town I notice a Tim’s. I though what better place to wait out the rain, then at a Tim’s?

As I pulled into the parking lot, which was filled, I saw only one parking spot, which just happen to be beside the biker who just pasted me. We said high chatted for a few seconds and then he offered to buy me a cup of tea. Now right away I knew I’d like this guy because he offered to buy me, not a cup of coffee, but a cup of tea. We got our drinks and he wanted to go outside to have a smoke. We sat inside the smoking building, watched the rain, drank our tea, and then he told me about his marriage break-up, his wife and (grown) kids. So for the next few hours, as we waited for the rain to stop, I listen to his story and we talked about everything under the sun.

When the rain let up, I thanked ‘Sandy’ for the tea and prayed for him, his wife and children. I told him that he was a good man and I had enjoyed our time together.

When I decided to take a week off, I felt I really need some away time. I wanted to travel, on my bike, and to have an adventure. I wanted the trip, something I could remember and help me get some rest, relaxation and to energize me. But sometimes God intervenes on our plans, and He put me in the right place at the right time, so I could have a conversation with ‘Sandy.’ All the rain and all the driving was just God’s plan becoming a reality. I now know that this trip was nit really about what I wanted or needed; it was about a meeting with ‘Sandy’ and what he needed. Thank you Lord for using me in such a way.

Once I said my farewell to ‘Sandy,’ I headed to Truro; stopped there and called my sister, Donna. I wasn’t sure where her new house was or how to get to Shearwater Base. I told her I was going to find a motel in Truro and then go to her place in the morning. Well the cheapest motel I could find was $59.95, plus tax, and I needed a credit card to get one. So, since I didn’t know how to get to Donna’s place from where I was (and it was 2am by this time), and since I knew how to get home and I was wide awake, I decided to drive straight home.

The last leg of my trip was from Truro to Weymouth, in the moonless, dark, still night. There was only a few cars and trucks on the highway. I drove as far as Tatamagouche Tim’s and then to Windsor Tim’s to the Irving Big Stop in New Minas to gas up. Then, from New Minas home in no time, to my waiting and wonderful wife. It was a great drive at 4 am – I enjoyed it a lot.

Overall, just a great roadtrip. God watched over me and protected me the entire trip. My mileage at the start of my trip was 9362 km; end mileage was 10, 991. I travel 1629 kms; 550 on day 1, and almost 1200 on day 2.

Thank you, Peggy for allowing me to go on this epic bike drive and thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. Our lives, in general, are all the same. We worry and wonder, but in the end, God always delivers and is always behind us, beside us, and goes ahead of us. Our God is an awesome God.

Blessings
PBB

No comments: