Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blessings

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims

Sunday’s service was awesome and God’s presence was felt. The music was quite inspiring. I really enjoy it when Teddy leads us in a mini hymn-sing; and the songs the Helen, Stanley and Diane choose seemed to be just what I needed to hear and went along very well with my message. God was at work.

The Thankfulness Time was very special to me, whereas a couple of people expressed their thankfulness for their new pastor and that pastor living in the community – and being done university. No one is more thankful (for this) than Peggy and I.

Dixon was thankful for the sun and Allison was thankful for the rain. It’s nice to know that whether the weather is good or bad, someone is thankful for it. Peggy and I were thankful for Peggy’s sister (Donna Rand) and her husband (Alvin Rand) coming to visit. Others were also thankful for family and friends.

In my offering introduction, I used the poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” I then connected that with my poem. It went something like this:

***Tithes and Offerings – Intro***
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, once asked:

“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- And, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.”


How do I love thee Lord? Let me count the ways.
I love thee enough to serve,
I love thee enough to sing,
I love thee enough to bow,
I love thee enough to repent,
I love thee enough to praise,
I love thee enough to honor,
And, I love thee enough to give, so that others may have.

***
The rest of the service was quite powerful. The sermon was about how some people go missing from our community, our society and our churches without anyone every noticing. I focused on how people feel; lost, alone and unfulfilled. Check out the sermon on the “From the pulpit” link.

This past Sunday night was our first night for our Marriage Enrichment course; 7 couples came. The Ladies Auxiliary (of our church) provided the food for us and we are truly thankful to them. Overall, I think the night went well. It was harder for some and scarier for others; but all finished the evening without any broken bones. Well done all you couples.

In today’s society, marriages are in trouble. It takes hard work to stay married and a lot of couples divorce because they are not willing to work at their marriage. These 7 couples should be praise for their efforts and willingness to find tools that will help them.

Monday (my day off and a holiday), Peggy and I spent our “marriage time” taking drive. We drove to Digby, got coffee and drove out Digby Neck to end, got on the ferry went across to Teverton, then drove across that island, got on that ferry and went to Brier Island and did some exploring. I did not like the ferries, Peggy did – I felt kind of sick on the way back – but got home safe and sound none-the-less. A good day for us.

Blessings on you this day.
Pastor Brian

7 comments:

Tanya Reid said...

As a wise woman once told me, marriages aren't 50/50; they're 100/100. That's something key to keep in mind. I'll be praying for the couples, as I know how hard it is to fight to keep a marriage going, and then lose the battle.
On a side note, someone very special that I know is having a birthday tomorrow...... *innocent look* Lets all wish him a happy birthday:)

April Mullen said...

Happy EARLY Birthday PBB!! WOOHOO!!

Also, thanks for coming up with the idea of hosting a Marriage Course. I think it is going to be very beneficial... and has already done some good ;)

P.S. I'm glad you went s'ploring even if you don't like ferry rides... Digby Neck is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Have a great one!

Looking for Angels in Alberta said...

I spent a summer working on Brier Island at the lodge. The ferrys are always a little scary. YOu must check ou tthe whales when they come.'
Sounds like a great sermon.
Happy B-day!!

April Mullen said...

Um... when you get back from vacation, will you be posting again? hmmmm?? ;)

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Are you EVER going to update your blog?

Tanya Reid said...

Uuuuuuuuupdate!!!!