Monday, March 5, 2007

Awesome God

Hi Everyone;
What an awesome God we have. Yesterday’s service, here at New Tusket Baptist Church, was so special and moving for me (and hopefully for others as well).

First, I had my little sister (Donna Jean) and three children (Andrew, Cody and Victoria) come down to New Tusket for the weekend; and then they came to church with us. It was the first time Donna had heard me preach, and she also blessed us with her gift of music. She sang a most beautiful and meaning hymn; “Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?”

Also, my daughter Tanya came down Saturday night and then came to church as well. It means so much to me as a father, as a husband, as a brother and as a pastor, to have all those people support and encourage me. My wife and daughter have given up so much for me to be here in New Tusket, and I thank them so much; for New Tusket is the place that I feel God has called me to.

Earlier in the week, God had put a message upon my heart. I felt He wanted me to tell the entire congregation that He loves them, very much. So, the service yesterday was centered upon God’s love.

We began with our Call to Worship: Colossians 1:15-20 – which talks about the Supremacy of the Son of God; Jesus Christ being the visible image of the invisible God. And how Christ made peace with everything in heaven and on earth, by means of the shedding of His blood on the cross. For Christ died, so we would be reconciled with God.

The first congregational hymn was “It’s Just Like His Great Love.” This hymn tells us how Jesus rolls those clouds away, to keep us day-by-day, and loves us all along the way. That’s the love of God, through Christ.

The other two congregational hymns were “Love Found a Way” and “My Faith Has Found a Resting Place.” Both, inspiring songs of God’s love and Christ’s sacrifice.

I am very happy that some of the youth in our church help me every week by reading scripture. I feel we all need to feel appreciated and have a place in the church. This is why I ask the youth to participate in our services (every week). Evan, Todd, Alison and Mikaela all help me and I appreciate what they do.

Yesterday, Alison shared her gift of music, as she played the piano for us. It warms my heart to see kids this age taking part in the regular church service. Alison has played for us in the past and has always done a wonderful job; and yesterday was great as well. Thanks, Alison.

My little sister Donna Jean played and sang a most appropriate song for Communion Sunday, which asked some very poignant questions;
Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?
Were You There When They Nailed Him To The Tree?
Were You There When They Laid Him In The Tomb?
Were You There When He Rose Up From The Dead?

As Easter approaches, we should be asking ourselves what role we played in Christ’s death and His resurrection; and what role we want and will play in His Kingdom, when He comes again.

The scripture lesson yesterday was the Prayer for the Ephesians (3:14-21); read by Evan. Here, the Apostle Paul is using the prayer to empower them, spiritually. Though it highlights other things as well, the prayer’s main message is that God loves them. He loves them and His love is total, and it reaches every corner of their lives.

The love that Paul talks about, and the love that God has for you, is the very same kind of love. God’s love (for you) is wide, it is long, it is high, and it is deep. Because of God’s blessings, we know that He is immensely patient, He forgives again and again, He is merciful, and His love is one promise, that we can always count on; and has not changed since the time of Moses. We can always rely on God’s patience, His forgiveness, His mercy and His unfailing love.

God loves us for many reasons. God cares for His sinful people. He created us, to love us. He loved us so much, that He offered a solution to the problem of sin; and that solution was Christ.

It doesn’t matter what you think you’ve done that was so terrible. It doesn’t matter that you have sinned against God, against others, or against yourself. It doesn’t matter that you have gone astray.

What matters is that God loves you and wants to forgive you. He wants you back to be part of His family again. All you have to do is confess, repent, have remorse for what you have done, and ask for forgiveness. And salvation will be yours, because God loves you so very much.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him, shall not parish, but have eternal life.”

For God so love the world, that He sacrificed His Son for us, He sacrificed His Son for us…And Communion, is a thankful remembrance, of Christ, His love & His sacrificial death upon the cross.

This is the love of God for all, for all of you…

God wants you to know that He loves you (all), very much.

That’s it for now.
Blessings upon you all.
Pastor Brother Brian

3 comments:

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

I am glad that your church survived our family... They did not know what they were getting themselves into when they hired you... Guess you shoulda taken the family photo album...

I am glad that you and Peggy have been so warmly accepted there. It seems like a good place for you to grow in your pastorate.

Love ME

Anonymous said...

Hi dad :)
I'll agree with you. Yesterday was beyond powerful. Well done dad. I bragged your sermon up to a friend of mine who lives in the states. He's a guy I go to with Christian things.
It was a very powerful sermon. Very personal, and you could feel God flowing through the church.
Kudos.
See you Wednesday/Thursday!

April Mullen said...

Hi There,
I hear wonderfull comments about the service on Sunday. I wish I could have been present upstairs in the pew!

Congratulations on your blog. I think it is a great idea!

:)TTFN