Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sold: happiness & joy

I want to start by telling you all of just how proud I was of my brother today. Rockey has not had an easy life and Satan has visited his house more than once. I have never “preached” to him and have never brought up Christ “accidentally.” I have prayed for him and will continue to pray for all my sisters and brother. If Rockey ever wants more information on God, I will answer his questions, but I will never "pressure" him.

Anyway, life for him, at times, is rough. Well, this past week Rockey was talking about buying a new motorcycle. He talked about it and I knew he wanted it, he was OKed for the money, but was hesitant.

Today he asked me again; “What if I get into financial problems and can’t make the payments?” I told him the worst thing that could happen is that they might come and take the bike back. Then I asked him to take me out and show me the bike. So, we went.

The bike is beautiful! It’s a Kawasaki, Vulcan Classic Cruiser 900 LT; two-tone; silver and red, saddle bags, windshield, sissy-bar, and street pipes. As we talked about the bike and he showed me the many accessories, I could see how much joy the thought of buying a new bike brought him.

The more we talked, the more he thought about it. Finally, Rockey made a decision about something that would and will bring that joy home with him. Before we left, there was a tag hanging on that bike that read; “Sold: Rockey Reid.”

Rockey made a decision to do something in his life that would bring him happiness. I was, and, am so proud of my big brother.

That’s all God wants us to be, is happy. Sometimes other people will do things that bring happiness and joy to us, other times we do something that brings happiness and joy into someone else’s life, and every once in a while, we do something that brings, into our lives, our own happiness and joy.

“Praise God from whom all blessings flow.”

Blessings and God (even) loves bikers.
Pastor Brother Brian

9 comments:

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Very good Brian. It is funny how there are so many talented writers in our family. I am not saying this to be smug or arrogant or to blow my own horn, but there just are! And not just you and me, Sandy is a good writer, I was told that Amy was a good writer (although Mr Fetty DID say I was the best out of all of us...hehe)

Anyway, GOOD GOOD GOOD for Rockey. I know he was so excited when he called me last night. And as for Satan "visiting" his house... SHE moved in, Bag and Baggage...but she'll be gone again after this! (just kidding, but not really...) Rockey has had his share of "downs" in life, it is about time he had some "ups"! I only wish Mom & Dad were here to see him on his bike, and maybe even go for a ride.

Oh Al wants SOMEBODY to take a picture of it so we can email it to him on the ship.

"God (even) loves bikers" - And barking dogs... Very cute. I think that somehow we should find a way to introduce Rockey to the Christian Bikers. There is a chapter in the area isn't there?

Hey, did you tell your people about the Biker Wedding you did? Now those were some pictures!!!

You said "every once in a while, we do something that brings, into our lives, our own happiness and joy." I needed to hear that Brian. I know that there are certain people in my life who are, and will continue to be very angry with me for spending money on a guitar and a piano for myself. I have sacrificed a lot for my little family over the years. As I mentioned in my Blog the other day, I feel I have wasted over $200,000.00 of Mom and Dad's hard earned money because I have not been able to use the abilities that that money provided for (that being my piano playing). You heard for yourself when I played for your church that I am no where near where I was when you used to come to my piano recitals! However, I had only had my piano for about a week at that point, and every day I am getting better and better. I had my first piano lesson today. Juliet said that I have not forgotten as much as I thought I had. AND she said I have a lovely touch, and whoever it was that taught me, taught me well. I told her, "She did, and I miss her very much."

Anyway, this is YOUR Blog, not mine... Although, I may just cut and paste this INTO my Blog and not have to write so much tonight!!

We are off to Youth Group and Bible Study here in a few minutes. Love to you and Peggy, and my Biker Brother!

Your Baby Sister

Anonymous said...

Hey dad.
I'm glad that Rockey got himself a bike, and I'm glad that it's bringing him happiness in a life that isn't necessarily filled with happiness.

It's a great comparison to Gods love. We might do the most minor things, but got is filled with such joy and happiness for us.

I look forward to this weekend and hopefully the fun and games with Deal or No Deal - New Tusket will put a smile on the faces of those participating.
Love you.
-Tanya

Anonymous said...

Thank you Uncle Brian... a simple story sometimes means the most... You of course are always in my prayers...

April Mullen said...

It's nice that you could be there for your brother. It's good to find something that makes us happy.

Tell me the truth, did you take it for a test drive? And, whatsmore, did you have to hold on to the sissy bar??!! Hee hee!

Later!

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Oh April, if you only KNEW how much of "sissy" he used to be... ;)

Anonymous said...

In reference to the 'sissy bar' and my dad being a 'sissy'... I feel as though this is a point in time when I would defend my dad.... but.... I just have to say, anyone that knows my dad, knows that he's a big softy. Always has been.
During our wedding, dad was reading the blessing of the rings, and broke down crying. So much that the other preacher there, Kirby, had to come over and take over reading for dad. This, of course, made everyone else cry too. There's a beautiful pic that someone managed to catch of Rockey consoling dad.

So... there. The truth is out. The big, bald, possible bike riding pastor of New Tusket, is actually just a big teddy bear.
:)
-Tanya

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Hey April,

What is the link to your Blog? Can I read it??

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Unfortunately, it is not me who has that picture Tanya. I do have one of him wiping his eyes, one of him with Kirby's hand on his shoulder when he took over, but sadly, I do not have the one of Rockey consoling him.

Anonymous said...

Well... I've found the picture... but I can't post it on here. Hmm...