Friday, March 9, 2007

This Week

Well, it’s been a long few days.

Left for Wolfville, early Wednesday morning and the snow blew around and made driving not so pleasant – but made it there OK. Had a few errands to do before my first class at 2pm. Had to stop off at NSCC-Annapolis Campus in Middleton to get some of my old transcript information forwarded to Acadia. I had been given 4 credits for courses I did (way back) and the other day the registrar at Acadia decide she needed, not only final marks, but also number of hours per course. So, 2 weeks ago I call NSCC and they told they would send that information out ASAP. Well, that didn’t happen, so I made a visit and was promised they would have it in the mail by Friday (that’s today). Next week I will check with ‘the powers that be’ at Acadia to see if it arrived. God willing, I will graduate in May.

Next, I had to drop off some dry-cleaning for one of the members of the congregation. There was dry-cleaning and pressing; had to keep it all straight. Then I had to tell them I needed it back right away to take back with me on Thursday. The guy looked at me funny for the clothes were mostly women’s pants and pant-suites. Oh well ☹.

Then, dropped off to see my big brother. I invited him to my Commissioning Dinner and Service (on May 11); he said he would be there. That’s 3 out 4 of my siblings confirmed; one more to go.

After that I rushed off to Acadia to catch my 2 pm class. Found out after that, that my evening class (6:30pm – 9:30pm) was cancelled. That was OK.

I called my daughter and met her for coffee and we did a little shopping. I left her (about 6pm) and headed out to where I was staying, but decided to do some visiting with my free-time. I stopped off at Betty & Bob Keddy’s. Two really good friends of Peggy and I, from Kentville Baptist Church, Betty and Bob have always been good friends and very supportive of me entering ministry. Bob is an old softy and can get quite emotional at times.

I picked a bad night to visit as Betty was leaving to go help out with Adventure Club (at Kentville Church) and Bob was leaving shortly after to go to choir practice. But, I did manage to get a roast-beef sandwich and a cup of tea out of the deal before they had to take off. Spent 15 minutes with Bob talking old times, good times and Christ. We both shed a few tears. Peggy and I love everyone at New Tusket and they have treated us so, so good; but we do miss a few people back at Kentville Church.

Well, left there and drove towards Hotel Cahill. That’s where I’m staying, at Betty & Jim Cahill’s house in Cambridge. They are wonderful people; a little older than me, and treat me like their son (daddy-Jim hollers at me a lot and momma-Betty hollers at Jim, for hollering at me).

Before I got to their house, I stopped in to see another couple of friends. Cam & Jean Baker are people we met when we were at Cambridge Baptist Church. So I had a cold drink there, talked about that church for a while and headed to Hotel Cahill, for the night.

Got up early Thursday morning (Jim made pancakes for me for breakfast); told you they treat me well (pancakes, orange juice and tea). He even wakes me up at what ever time I ask. Well, took of to go to brother Rockey’s garage to get my car fixed. Had to put in a new wheel-bearing. Left there early afternoon, went to Rewards Department store in Coldbrook and bought a new headboard, footboard and bed rails for the new box-spring and mattress we bought last Friday. So I loaded all this stuff onto my brother’s truck and headed back to his house; and put it in his shop.

Left there went to Acadia to get Chuck to look at my laptop. I lost all my Acadia emails (3 years worth); I was not a happy camper. Well, Chuck got them all back for me – thank you God. I now take back all those things I said about Chuck ☺. So, after getting my email fixed, I checked my email to find out that Thursday night’s class was also cancelled. Two out of my three class this week cancelled. I could have come home Wednesday after my 2pm class.

Well, left there went down to New Minas picked up the dry-cleaning (which they lost for a few minutes), got some KFC for supper and headed up to Rockey’s again. Chicken was good, but getting real expensive.

The headboard, footboard and bed rails I bought needed to come home with me; problem - I drive a Hyundai Accent. Well, the headboard and footboard were 4 feet wide by 5 feet long, and the bed-rails in the box was 7 feet; problem - I drive a Hyundai Accent. So, I did what any normal person would do (get a truck), no, I tied the headboard and footboard to the roof of my car. I had rope around the top of the boxes, in through my windows and up and around the other side. I then had other rope tied to the box and tied to the front and rear of my car. The (long) bed-rails I shoved into the hatch / trunk, which stuck out the back (tied in of course). Once I had everything secured, I headed home in the blowing snow.

Made good time, only 30 minutes more driving with the boxes flapping and blowing the wind and the rope making a loud whistling sound. I prayed for traveling mercies and God did not disappoint me. Made it home OK and nothing was broke.

Now, here I am Friday morning, got a meeting my Supervisor (of my Supervised Field Education), Fred Bigalow. Good, good man. Tonight is Bible study, prayer meeting and choir practice. I think I want to do a mini musical thing for Easter Sunday. We’ll see what they choir wants to do. This Saturday night is “Date Night” at the church. We’re having a ‘dinner and a movie’ for couples. Pot-luck supper and a romantic movie will be shown; all are invited – starts at 6:30.

Sunday’s sermon, I will be talking about ‘Holy Ground.’ Lot’s to do, so I better get going. Thank you all for your comments – keep them coming. Remember, God loves all of you, so very much.

Blessings upon you;
Pastor Brother Brian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brian:

Wrote a note on your blog on Wednesday but it couldn't have gone through. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the service Sunday. It was my Sunday to evaluate you made it easy.

Just wanted to share with you something that I just read and see what you think. This is a comment made by Bono of U2 fame, when asked what made his band unique.
"Our goad is to blur the line between the stage and the audience, we want to create a shared experience for everyone.
Quote from another source "That's our desire for those who visit our church. We hope that engaging worship, authentic teaching, and a primal sense of God's presence in our community will offer a shared spiritual experience. We hope the service touches the spiritual center for all those who attend in a way that draws them back again.
I think this was accomplished on Sunday by the "Message"
Thank you for the special service, and I thank God that you are our pastor. God Bless you as you continue to be used by Him.
Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Brian,

Lauren, Levon and Elizabeth say hi too!! I like your blog! You are so thorough in telling about your experiences. It is like living your life with you!! LOL!! See you at Bible Study - We have been trying to figure out whose dry cleaning you are lookig after!! Later alligator!

Christy (AKA CRIS)

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Hi Pastor Brother Brian,

I am so glad you got a bed! Now when we come down Al and I can sleep in the bed and the kids can sleep in the basement! haha

The thing with Acadia is that classes being cancelled is totally at the descresion (sp?) of the prof, and they usually don't cancel til just before the class. When I went there, we did not have those fancy laptops and emails, we had to walk through thigh high snow to the class to read the note on the door...Class Cancelled!

I think that a musical for Easter is a great idea. We do not do that here. Especially this year since our Sr Pastor is resigning in April.

Al got home ok. I am some glad This week will go by really fast! not sure when we will get down as he will be in and out, and I am going to Newfoundland in 1 month and 2 days!!!!!!

I hope all goes well for you with your activities tonight, and service on Sunday.

Love your Baby Sister