Monday, April 30, 2007

Finally, updated!

Sorry Guys that I haven’t updated my blog lately; I just been so busy.

This past week (Monday) I emailed off my final paper to the Div. school. Now, I wait to see if all my hard work will pay off and I will graduate??? Tuesday I went to the valley and did my errands and took a bike-ride with my brother Rockey (that was cool).

Wednesday I prepared for Bible study that night. I am very encouraged and happy to see so many come out to a mid-week program (17). We were talking about Jeremiah and how he got mad at God for what he was going through as a prophet. In short, God told him, this ain’t nothing, wait until it really gets hard; and when it does get as though you can’t make it through, I will be there – turn to me for help. We had lots of discussion about our life-situations and how we get down and get depressed about such things.

We looked at 1 Corinthians 4:9-13, where the Apostle Paul tells the people of the little church at Corinth, about his struggles as one of God’s servants. He tells them in no uncertain terms that hardships are part and parcel of that call upon your life.

All of us Christians will face suffering because we call Christ our savior, and the un-believers will at times, seem to thrive (Jeremiah 12:1c); “Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?”

The Lord answers in Jeremiah 15:19; “Return to me, I will restore you and you can continue to serve me…I will keep you safe from those wicked men.”

For the un-believers, they are receive their rewards (from the Devil) here on earth. For we, Christians, we will receive our rewards (from God) in Heaven – eternal life.

We ended that section of the Bible study with God’s promise from 1 Peter 5:6-11;

“So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and in good time he will honor you. Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you.

Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring loin, look for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters, all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.

In His kindness God called you to His eternal glory by means of Jesus Christ. After you have suffered a little while, He will restore, support, and strengthen you, and He will place you on a firm foundation. All power is His forever and ever. Amen.”

God knows the suffering we experience and has plans to prosper us – if we have faith.

Thursday I worked on my sermon – True Peace.

Thursday, Peggy and I went to HFX to buy me a new suit for graduation. Sears had a in-store sale on suits (half price), so we went. Only to find out I am an odd size in a suit (46 short)??? What’s up with that? We though we had one, a blue pin-stripe and then we the sales-girl found (outback) a grey pin-stripe, which looked and felt good on me. So we picked out a bright yellow shirt and matching tie and as we were standing at the cash, Peggy noticed a ‘pick’ on the back of the jacket. So, did get that one. The salesgirl called around to a few other stores and finally (after about 45 minutes) she found one on NB somewhere. She said she could have it shipped right from the store to our house – via snail-mail. OK, we said and went to pay for the suit and shipping, only to be told we could only do through our Sears Card. What? Cash was no good, we could not pay cash and have it shipped. We thanked the girl for her time, and left. She did all she could do, but it was Sears rules that prevented us from buying that suit.

Left there, walking through the mall until we came to Tip Top Tailors. Went in – there was a sale on 3-piece suits with a shirt and tie for $199.00. Wow, what a deal! But, alas, it was for not. No colors that ‘suited’ us were on sale. So, the sales guy showed us a few other suits (299, 259, 349). At this point my lovely wife was getting tired and frustrated, and the guy sensed we were ready to walk off, and miraculously, he brought out a suit, a nice charcoal grey, fit nice and looked good – for $149.00. So, with the shirt and tie (from Sears) and the suit from Tip Top Tailors, I will be looking good for graduation.

Peggy has a really nice dress she bought from Christy, so it’s only Tanya who will need to get ‘dressed up.’

Friday, Tanya and I went to the movies in Yarmouth. We had a really nice father-daughter time, talking and enjoying each other’s company (Peggy was working).

Saturday, I went with Diana M. and Fred B to the spring meeting of the Annapolis – Digby United Baptist Association, at Middleton Baptist Church. Registration and Meet-n-Greet was at 2:00. The business meeting was at 3 until 4 or so. Then, we broke into small groups and talked about how the Holy Spirit was alive and at work in our churches and how and why fellowship is so important. Supper was roast-beef, with all the trimmings. For dessert; coconut cream and lemon pie. I do not like either, so I had another helping of supper. The day ended with a nice worship and praise service. Got home at 9:15 or so.

Sunday’s service was quite nice. I spoke on Peace; peace with God, peace with each other, and peace within ourselves. Everybody seem attentive, and there was such a ‘calm’ within the sanctuary. That is the end-result of having Peace, is that sense of Calm.

The music was truly amazing, inspiring and heart-warming. Arthur T. sang “Let There Be Peace” and the congregation joined him in on the last two verses. The choir sang “It Is Well With My Soul.” Those two songs seem to set the tone for the whole service, as stress and agitation was replaced by the Spirit of God.

April M. led us in 2 worship songs. I was so proud as my wife and daughter helped out with the actions to the first song – “Shine, Jesus, Shine!” Peggy and Tanya have been the rock I have come to lean on during my ‘change of life.’ They have been there for me, encouraged me, and directed me through many times of struggles and brought so much happiness and joy to my spiritual awakening. I love them so much and could not have gone this far in my ministry with out them and my Lord. Thank you Peggy and Tanya – I love you both and will be forever grateful.

That song (“Shine, Jesus, Shine!”) is like a theme song for me. I love the line “Blaze, Spirit, Blaze.” It reminds me and brings to mind, my own spirituality and tells ALL that God’s Holy Spirit is like a blazing fire for ALL to see and for ALL to feel the heat upon your face.

The second song April led us in was “As I Worship.” It is amazing how God works and connects what we are doing with what other people are doing; this was the case with this song. When the music is selected for Sunday, I usually just tell Linda and the choir what my topic will be and together we choose hymns that follow that theme. As wit April, we never discuss what she will choose, she simply goes with what she feels is appropriate. This week she chose “As I Worship,” and there was a line in that song which was; “True Peace.” My sermon yesterday was based upon a short devotional I presented at the Berwick Manor (a senior citizens home), 2 years ago. The name of that devotional was “True Peace.” God connected that devotional, April’s song choice and my sermon, to create such a moving and calming service – “True Peace.”

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Sunday night, a few of us from New Tusket church went to the Ashmore Church for a evening of gospel music featuring Alf Dalton and Valley Ramblers, with the Ashmore Men’s Choir. The music was so good. There are so many people with such great musical gifts and I am so thankful that they are using these gifts to glorify and honor our Lord.

After the concert, we went to Sanky and Diana’s house for chocolate pie. Chocolate pie is the only kind of pie I will eat. Actually, I will eat anything chocolate. We had some great conversation with Sanky and Diana and Gladys and Genos.

This week my plans are to put together Peggy’s new outside screen-house and BBQ. Also, there is a motorcycle blessing in Truro on Saturday I would like to attend with my brother Rockey and a few of his bike buddies from Kentville.

Of course Wednesday night Bible study and prayer meeting – and choir practice, then Communion Service on Sunday. This week’s sermon is entitled; “The Art of Being a Sinner.” If you ever had a reason to invite someone to church, this Sunday would be a great opportunity, as I try to bridge our sins with God’s love and Jesus’ death.

Also, this week, Peggy and I will help Tanya move into her new apartment. Please pray that Tanya will find happiness and that God will keep loneliness from her.

Blessings upon you all and remember that God loves each and every one of you – so very much. He wants you to have a relationship with Jesus Christ, accept salvation and live eternally with Him.

Pastor Brother Brian.

3 comments:

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Now, I KNOW that this is not the purpose of this post, and this is NOT what you want people to get out of it, BUT...

YOU WERE IN HALIFAX AND DID NOT CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DID NOT COME OVER????????????


You have a chance to redeem yourself... Going to Truro on Saturday with Rockey... You have to, pretty much drive right past here! There had BETTER be a stopping by, or at LEAST, a "We are Tim Hortons on such-and-such a street. COME MEET US!"

Now, I am glad that you got a nice suit for your grad! Glad that your Bible study is coming along (I know April always likes to go), your service yesterday sounded lovely - we did not get to church, we had a cheerleading competition.

Hope to see you on SATURDAY!

Love your Baby Sister - you know the one, the one sibling who has stood behind you during this whole "Change of Life" thing... Love you (Yeah April, I think I might be a little sarcastic today... hehe)

April Mullen said...

Pastor,

I don't know how you remember all of it after a whole week, and in such detail... kudos!

Sunday's service, as always, was a blessing. Thank you for the topic of Peace.

I look forward to this Sunday coming! :)

Looking for Angels in Alberta said...

NOw that is what I call catching up! I wish I could of been there for the sermons. The message still comes through the blog. Good luck on your final paper.
I am so glad to hear about the supper turnouts on Wednesday. People seem to identify with Jeremiah.
Keep up the good work.